Roof Siding Install
Roof Siding Install
Nothing is as important to the look of a house as roofing and siding. Even an old building can be transformed and made attractive by finishing the pediment and walls. The pediment of the house is always in sight, therefore it is the face of the building. By its appearance and condition of the exterior decoration of the house, a person gets the first impression of the building. The most affordable way to finish the pediment and walls is to cover it with siding. It is a durable, reliable, beautiful and cheap material.
Roofing and siding are also a house’s first line of defense against the weather. That’s why the materials have to be durable, properly installed, and well maintained.
There are several types of siding։
- Metal– It is made of metal, which is first rolled and then stamped. The most popular are aluminum and galvanized-steel siding, zinc is much less commonly used.
- Aluminum– Made of aluminum-based alloy, it is light in weight and has a long service life. The main disadvantage of aluminum siding is its high cost.
- Galvanized-steel – Galvanized steel is used for its manufacture, which is covered with a protective spraying. Such material can withstand heavy mechanical loads, fireproof, has a long service life and a wide range of colors. You can install it at any time of the year. The main disadvantage of galvanized steel siding is high thermal conductivity and tendency to corrosion.
- Vinyl– Polyvinyl chloride is used to make vinyl siding, and special additives are used to improve characteristics. This is the most popular type of siding. The advantages of vinyl siding are corrosion resistance,long service life,light weight and good decorative properties.Despite this, vinyl siding has also disadvantages․ It burns out under the influence of sunlight, melts at high temperatures and release toxic substances,has a high expansion factor, so during installation, it is necessary to leave expansion gaps.
- Acrylic- Like vinyl siding, it refers to polymer materials, but it is more modern. Improved characteristic is obtained through the use of an acrylic additive in the top layer. Advantages of acrylic siding are that accurately conveys the color and structure of the tree, has a high resistance to sunlight, therefore it does not change its original color for many years, it is not damaged by fungus and mold and has a long service life. The main disadvantage of acrylic siding is its high cost.
- Woody Fibrous– Is made by pressing cellulose and wood components, in some cases additional heat treatment is carried out. This procedure allows you to obtain a fairly strong material that does not tend to shrink during operation. Advantages of wood fiber siding are the resistance to extreme temperature changes, low thermal conductivity, high moisture resistance, low flammability and property not to sustain combustion, doesn’t burnout under the influence of sunlight and also long service life. Among the disadvantages of the material, it is worth to note that in order to maximize the service life, it is recommended to perform surface working over every 4–5 years, also, mold and fungus may appear on it.
- Wood– For the manufacture of wooden siding, a glued natural board is used, but for the outside, the material must have protective and decorative processing, which over time needs to be updated. In addition, its cost is quite high. Despite such disadvantages, wood siding has also advantages. It is ecological and a natural material, so it is completely safe for humans, has low thermal conductivity and good vapor permeability.
- Cement- There are two types of cement siding; concrete or fiber cement. It is made from cement, sand and cellulose. The main disadvantage of concrete siding is the high cost and heaviness on the walls and foundations of the house. It is not common and the demand is not high, although it has quite serious advantages; resistance to extreme temperature changes; high fire resistance and long service life.
- Asbestos cement- Previously, this material was used often, but now, due to the fact that it has a negative effect on humans, it is rarely used.
- Ceramic- This type of siding is made from clay, cement, dye, and fibrous components. The material practically does not absorb moisture, has high strength, therefore, its service life is long and perfectly imitates natural surfaces. The disadvantages of ceramic siding are its high weight, which complicates transportation and installation, as well as its high cost.